Pro 12:27 The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
To answer those who believe Jesus is an angel …
But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? – Hebrews 1:13-14
And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple the ark of His testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail. Revelation 11:19
Studying the Bible
– Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. – 2 Timothy 2:15
– But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear – 1 Peter 3:15
God’s word is so simple to understand, you have to have help to misunderstand it…
– But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty – 1 Corinthians 1:27
– But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ – 2 Corinthians 11:3
– The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple – Psalm 119:130
– For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward – 2 Corinthians 1:12
– But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned – 1 Corinthians 2:14
– But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you – John 14:26
Context – Text out of context isolated from co-text becomes a pretext to false teaching
– See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise – Ephesians 5:15
– For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little – Isaiah 28:10
Proof text – The final guide to the interpretation of Scripture is Scripture itself.
– at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established – Deuteronomy 19:15
– Example: Matthew 4
Mysteries and symbols in scripture are defined and explained in scripture
– Having made known unto us the mystery of His will, according to his good pleasure which He hath purposed in himself – Ephesians 1:9
– which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit – Ephesians 3:5
– Example: Luke 8:5-15
Scriptures testify of Jesus
– Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of Me. – John 5:39
– For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed Me; for he wrote of Me – John 5:46
– This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. – Joshua 1:8
– I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. – Psalm 119:15
Test all things with scripture
– To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them – Isaiah 8:20
– And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These [Bereans] were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few. – Acts 17:10-12
– Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. – 1 Thessalonians 5:21
– Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. – 1 John 4:1
Do not add to or take away
– Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you – Deuteronomy 4:2
– Every word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto His words, lest He reprove thee, and thou be found a liar – Proverbs 30:6
– For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. – Revelation 22:18-19
To consider: If we are to be held accountable to a standard, it is imperative that we have that standard available to test against.
1. The Bible is the inspired Word of God and the revealed nature and will of God. The Bible is empowered by God, infallible and authoritative. The books of the Bible are the written Word of God. The Bible is divinely inspired and inerrant throughout. It is the supreme authority in everything it teaches. Its authority is not limited to spiritual, religious, or redemptive themes but includes its assertions in such fields as history and science. God has preserved His Word through the ages.
– We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. – 2 Peter 1:19-21
– And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. – 2 Timothy 3:15-17
– Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you. – 1 Peter 1:23-25
– For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. – Hebrews 4:12
– Heaven and earth shall pass away: but My words shall not pass away. Mark 13:31
– The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. – Psalm 12:6
See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise – Ephesians 5:15
In a chance conversation, an individual was beating themselves up about their not living up to their expectations in their walk with the Lord.
A bit of this is healthy. Humility and regular self examination is a good thing to make sure you are still on the right path. It is good to read 1st John and give yourself a spiritual check-up every now and again.
However, extreme guilt and punishing yourself to the point that you are not able to function is not a good thing.
Do you think you are something so special that you can somehow be perfect? Your in the same boat with everyone else on this. There was only one perfect man, and that was Jesus.
Imperfection is not an excuse, we need to repent of sin and do everything we can to follow Jesus and lead a holiness lifestyle.
At the same time, we can’t let our stumbles and failings keep us from the work that God has for us.
When a believer stumbles and falls in the mud, the believer gets back up and rushes to get clean as quickly as possible. Unbelievers fall in the mud and wallow in it.
For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief Proverbs 24:16
The difference between acting or pretending and lying…
When you are acting in a play or pretending, everyone knows you are acting or pretending.
It becomes a lie when you are deliberately trying to fool someone or even yourself
We need to keep in mind that what people need is the Gospel, NOT the Government.
If we do not govern ourselves, then society demands that some govern for us. Laws don’t exist because of good people, laws exists because of people who do not govern themselves.
The only role of Government is to protect life, liberty, and property
Keep in mind, that a Government that has the power to legislate your morality today, has the power to legislate someone else’s morality tomorrow.
For example, our legislature has passed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) which allows for American citizens to be arrested on suspicion of terrorism and held indefinitely.
Because our Government can define and redefine what a terrorist is, it is simple enough for them to come along and add to the definition: “Christian Fundamentalist”