Working definition: Refers to any sphere of existence. Basically is something that can be inhabited. Can be a defined system, habitat, dimension, “atmosphere”, “sphere of influence”, culture, realm, government, generation, time/age/epoch/eon, etc. Can refer to the earth or a planet in the sense that they are a place that can be inhabited.
Earth and world formed separately…
Ps 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
the earth formed first and the world formed in the earth…
Job 37:12 and it is turned round about by his counsels: that they may do whatsoever he commandeth them upon the face of the world in the earth.
Mankind dwells on the earth, but inhabits (makes a habitat) in the world
Isaiah 18:3 All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye.
There are multiple worlds…
Hebrews 1:2 hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
There is also a past world:
2 Peter 3:6 whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
There is also a present and a future world:
Mt 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
WORLD, noun [This seems to be a compound word, and probably is named from roundness, the vault; but this is not certain.]
1. The universe; the whole system of created globes or vast bodies of matter.
2. The earth; the terraqueous globe; sometimes called the lower world
3. The heavens; as when we speak of the heavenly world or upper world
4. System of beings; or the orbs which occupy space, and all the beings which inhabit them. Hebrews 11:7.
God–hath in these last days spoken to us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things; by whom also he made the worlds. Hebrews 1:6.
There may be other worlds, where the inhabitants have never violated their allegiance to their Almighty sovereign. [ie: heaven where the holy angels inhabit]
5. Present state of existence; as while we are in the world
Behold, these are the ungodly who prosper in the world Psalms 73:12.
6. A secular life. By the world we sometimes understand the things of this world its pleasures and interests. A great part of mankind are more anxious to enjoy the world to than secure divine favor.
7. Public life, or society; as banished from the world
8. Business or trouble of life.
From this world-wearied flesh.
9. A great multitude or quantity; as a world of business; a world of charms.
10. Mankind; people in general; in an indefinite sense. Let the world see your fortitude.
Whose disposition, all the world well knows–
11. Course of life. He begins the world with little property, but with many friends.
12. Universal empire.
This through the east just vengeance hurld, and lost poor Antony the world
13. The customs and manners of men; the practice of life. A knowledge of the world is necessary for a man of business; it is essential to politeness.
14. All the world contains.
Had I a thousand worlds, I would give them all for one year more to devote to God.
15. The principal nations or countries of the earth. Alexander conquered the world
16. The Roman empire.
17. A large tract of country; a wide compass of things.
I must descry new worlds.
18. The inhabitants of the earth; the whole human race. John 3:16.
19. The carnal state or corruption of the earth; as the present evil world; the course of this world Galatians 1:4. Ephesians 2:2.
20. The ungodly part of the world
I pray not for the world but for them that thou hast given men. John 17:5.
21. Time; as in the phrase, world without end.
Note: In the bible, sometimes “earth” is used in place of world when referring to the global system that is in all the earth.